Amazon has come a long way since opening on the World Wide Web in July 1995. Today, we operate retail websites in multiple countries across geographies, offering products in many categories (books, media, digital, electronics etc.) worldwide, and we still like to work hard, have fun and make history! The Amazon.com brand has become synonymous with a superior level of convenience, selection, low prices, and customer service.
Software Development Manager– Worldwide Transportation Engineering @ Delhi, India
Amazon’s global fulfillment network enables any merchant in any of the geography ship items that you order on Amazon, to any place on earth. There are a variety of ways in which we can acquire items from vendors to our warehouses, ship items from one location to another, and several intermediate locations through which the package travels before reaching the customer. There are millions of such packages, each with different attributes, and different delivery requirements. What results is a highly dense graph of source, intermediate and destination nodes, with arcs between them representing possible paths for packages, with different costs and times along each arc. Accounting for all these constraints, and maximizing the number of shipments shipped, while minimizing cost, providing a variety of delivery options and maximizing delivery performance is Transportation Engineering’s primary focus.
In 2006, Amazon started building Technology teams at Delhi to support the growth in the global fulfillment and transportation network. We have built a world class Software engineering team which is focused on solving some of the complex problems in worldwide Transportation using workflows, optimization algorithms, machine learning systems etc. These are large scale distributed systems handling millions of packages being shipped through our network
We are looking for Software Development Manager with solid Software engineering fundamentals involving solving complex problems. He/She will get to work on some of the key initiatives planned to support our rapid evolution and growth of the transportation network and in the process solve some of the most challenging problems. They will provide the technical leadership to the team, drive best practices, mentor other engineers and drive continuous improvements in engineering excellence.
Key job responsibilities
- Work closely with software developers and managers to architect and develop the best technical designs, architectures and implementations.
- Develop monthly, quarterly and yearly strategy and roadmaps for the team based on project priorities and project benefit.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to present complex technical information in a clear and concise manner to a variety of audiences.
- Work with Product and Program Managers to develop and evolve the vision and strategy for the team.
- Use Agile principles to run the development lifecycle for team’s applications and services.
- Manage, execute and communicate project plans and delivery commitments.
- Staff, mentor, enhance and maintain a best-of-class software development teams.
- About The Team
We are a highly agile and self driven team of talented and motivated engineers based out of Delhi. We are at the heart of Amazon transportation and are responsible for managing entire package lifecycle. Team owns the orchestration of transportation requests, state management, proactive deviation management at network level, progress tracker operations like delivery to locker, cancel and notification of transportation events to downstream clients. Come join the team that sets a high bar for software development and operational excellence practices. We use Amazon wide tools and processes to a large extent, and we also contribute to the Amazon wide arsenal of tools that all businesses use to be more effective. We are early adopters of new tools and technologies, before they become mandatory.
• Requires a Masters or Bachelor’s degree from a top tier institute in statistics, engineering, mathematics, economics or MBA from Top Tier Institute.
• Ability to work efficiently in a dynamic and ambiguous environment by combining analytical rigor and judgment.
• Strong commitment to exceptional customer experience, enthusiasm to drive positive change and persuasive ability.
• Excellent communication skills both verbal and written (ability to present detailed technical analysis, assumptions, and recommendations succinctly).
• Proficient in Microsoft Excel and comfortable in dealing with large amounts of data.
• Experience in utilizing SQL and VBA.
• Work experience is preferred (1-2.5 years)
• Bachelors/Masters in Computer Science or Engineering
• Strong, object-oriented design and coding skills (C/C++ and/or Java preferably on a UNIX or Linux platform)
• Knowledge of Perl or other scripting languages a plus
• Experience with distributed (multi-tiered) systems, algorithms, and relational databases
• Ability to effectively articulate technical challenges and solutions
• Deal well with ambiguous/undefined problems; ability to think abstractly
• Previous technical internship(s) preferred
Company – ADCI – Haryana
Job ID: A2023942